July 13, 2011
It’s been 7 months since my last post.
SEVEN. MONTHS. I’m hanging my head in shame…
Let me update you on what’s going on in my life! Because there’s a lot that’s transpired since last December! We’re going to talk about three things.
- Work on “The Secret Number” continues.
- My short film “En Route” has been released online.
- I’m going to Pixar!
1. The Secret Number is coming along! It’s been a tiresome production and post-production has been grueling, but we’re really in the home stretch now. Although I’m making last-minute editing tweaks, that’s the most complete part of the puzzle. Right now we’ve just got tons of music, sound design, color grading, and visual effects work still to do!
Until recently, I’ve been pretty good at keeping my vlogs up-to-date on the The Secret Number site.
Thus far unreported: Last month we showcased a work-in-progress version of the film for my school, and it got a great reaction! We ended up winning several school awards:
- Best Undergraduate Narrative
- Best Visual Effects
- Best Cinematography
- Best Sound Design
- Best Editing
- Best Original Score
Crazy, huh? It’s funny because so little is actually finished. 😛
2. Yesterday, I finally released my short film “En Route” online! Check it out:
This has been a long time coming, but I’m very proud to finally be able to show it off.
Also, check out the revamped site! We’ve got the full film available for download, a VFX breakdown, as well as stills and set photography. The comments are starting to stream in on YouTube, and so far the reactions are positive!
3. I’m going to Pixar! Yup, I can barely believe it. I was lucky enough to have been offered a 12-month residency position in the Camera & Staging Department at my favorite animation studio in the world.
This news got a pretty huge response from the Blender community. When a blurb was posted on BlenderNation, over 130 people commented on the story! I’m pretty blown away, honestly.
I clearly owe this opportunity in large part to Blender and “Sintel”.
So, I’m excited to be moving to Emeryville in early September. I don’t know quite what to expect but I’m of course super super psyched! But I have a lot to accomplish before then…
Back to work!