Let me update you on what’s going on in my life! Because there’s a lot that’s transpired since last December! We’re going to talk about three things.
Work on “The Secret Number” continues.
My short film “En Route” has been released online.
I’m going to Pixar!
1. The Secret Number is coming along! It’s been a tiresome production and post-production has been grueling, but we’re really in the home stretch now. Although I’m making last-minute editing tweaks, that’s the most complete part of the puzzle. Right now we’ve just got tons of music, sound design, color grading, and visual effects work still to do!
Thus far unreported: Last month we showcased a work-in-progress version of the film for my school, and it got a great reaction! We ended up winning several school awards:
Best Undergraduate Narrative
Best Visual Effects
Best Sound Design
Best Original Score
Crazy, huh? It’s funny because so little is actually finished.
2. Yesterday, I finally released my short film “En Route” online! Check it out:
This has been a long time coming, but I’m very proud to finally be able to show it off.
Also, check out the revamped site! We’ve got the full film available for download, a VFX breakdown, as well as stills and set photography. The comments are starting to stream in on YouTube, and so far the reactions are positive!
3. I’m going to Pixar! Yup, I can barely believe it. I was lucky enough to have been offered a 12-month residency position in the Camera & Staging Department at my favorite animation studio in the world.
This news got a pretty huge response from the Blender community. When a blurb was posted on BlenderNation, over 130 people commented on the story! I’m pretty blown away, honestly.
I clearly owe this opportunity in large part to Blender and “Sintel”.
So, I’m excited to be moving to Emeryville in early September. I don’t know quite what to expect but I’m of course super super psyched! But I have a lot to accomplish before then…
Back in September, right after I got back from Amsterdam, I made a few Blender tutorials for inclusion on the “Sintel” DVD.
Now that it’s been a few months since the DVD came out, I thought I’d throw them up on the tutorial section of my site. I wasn’t sure whether or not to keep them on my site or put them on YouTube. Blenderheads, what do you prefer?
This series is a compilation of some of the tricks and features I picked up during my time on “Sintel”. So much cool stuff about Blender is hidden. So many handy tools are accessible with keyboard shortcuts — but if you don’t already know about them, you may never know what you’re missing!
These features were demod with Blender 2.5 beta.
I plan to put up the two longer tutorials from the DVD as well.
Sooo, again it’s been way too long since I’ve updated my blog. Lots of things are happening! Among other things, the Savannah Film Festival happened back in October, and I was lucky enough to screen my film “En Route” among a dozen other strong student shorts from across the country.
It was a great experience and we were lucky enough to win several awards!
• Savannah Film Commission Award
• Panavision Student Cinematography Award
• Silver Screen Society Filmmaker Award
I was also interviewed by several publications in the past couple months: